Well, I had my OBGYN appointment yesterday and I’m 1cm dilated and 50% effaced which really means a whole lot of nothing. He told me though that the baby is head down and facing down (the best position for delivery) and that when it happens, it’s going to be quick. But, what does he know? Every pregnancy is different and every baby is different. We’re really all just making wild guesses here, but nevertheless, I figured it was time to have my hospital bag ready.
Now you’d think by the fifth go around I’d have this thing down pat, but it’s pretty much guaranteed that something will go sideways and all of my careful planning will be rendered useless but, hey–I have to give it a shot. Here’s what you will find in my hospital bag, already packed and ready to rock and roll:
- A phone charger, a spare set of cheap earbuds, and an extension cord because the outlet is always way too far away from the bed.
3. This is the first time I’ve ever purchased disposable underwear but I keep seeing it on everyone else’s hospital bag checklists so I’m going to give them a try this time, because the crime scene that follows a birth demands something a little beefier than a pad.
8. Okay, so this involves a bit of an explanation. After pushing a baby out, the vag gets a bit trashed and so it hurts to take a wee for a few days following the birth. It stings. Plus it’s important to keep the area as clean as possible for optimal healing! The hospital provides a squeeze bottle but as you can imagine, it can get a bit tricky to squeeze the water up, so I ordered this fancy contraption that will help me not fall over in the bathroom while bathing my girl parts with soothing water. I haven’t tried it but the reviews are amazing and it looks brilliant.
9. Other things: plastic bag for dirty clothes, a nursing sports bra for labouring in (last time I didn’t wear a bra and my National Geographic nipples made cameos in all of the photos), soft socks, comfy shoes.
10. All of my things can be found packed neatly in this little suitcase with a handle and wheels:
I hope I’m not missing anything!